September 2021: Start of School Update
A Message from the Head of School
Start of School Update - September 1, 2021
Dear Meadowbrook Parent,
I am excited to begin our 103rd academic year at Meadowbrook and to see all the students back on campus next week. I want to applaud you and your child(ren) for adhering to our safety protocols last year. In order for us to continue offering our program in-person, it is going to take further cooperation by everyone again this year. As you may have heard yesterday, Governor Wolf just ordered all school students and staff in Pennsylvania to wear masks. Thankfully, we anticipated this decision and made our expectations around this requirement known a few weeks ago. Other topics that tend to come up include:
- Do parents have permission to enter the building?
- Answer: YES, but with masks - even if you are vaccinated.
- Is it necessary to complete a morning health screening survey?
- Answer: NO, we are not enforcing that measure this year; however, please do not send your child to school if they are experiencing (1) of these symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, or loss of taste or smell, OR (2) of these symptoms: fever, chills, fatigue, myalgia, headache, sore throat, congestion, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and/or lives in the same house with a family member that is experiencing the aforementioned symptoms. In this scenario, it is better to get your child tested and return after receiving “negative” results.
- Can students play after school sports this year?
- Answer: YES, Mr. Oser sent around information about a fall soccer season for our upper school students. We are reminded that people can contract Covid at any time, but being outside is far safer, and for this reason - masks will NOT be required during outside activities.
- Can we add our child as a “drop-in” to Extended Day this year?
- Answer: YES, we are not limiting the size of this after-school cohort.
Obviously, we will relay any adjustments to our Health & Safety Plan as the regulations and guidance changes throughout the year. In essence, we are maintaining a lot of rules from last year - which include: social distancing (reduced from 6 feet to 3 feet), increased hand washing/sanitizing, enhanced cleaning of high touch areas, and air purifiers in teaching spaces, but are extending a few latitudes based on our experience over the past 18 months. We appreciate you trusting our approach and respecting our staff for enforcing these necessary guidelines.
In order to continue a balanced after school pick-up routine, please reference schedule sent out in Constant Contact, As you will see, we have listed families to arrive within certain time frames to reduce traffic on campus. Don't forget that classes begin at 8:20am this year, and early drop-off (between 7:45am-8am) is in the Art Wing entrance. See below for further details about arrival and departure.
Lastly, due to the increased risk around eating in large groups, we are not offering a family-style lunch program in our dining commons. Please remember to pack your child with a healthy lunch and a snack each morning. We will continue to evaluate this arrangement and notify you if another alternative becomes available. We all hope the threat of this pandemic subsides soon, but will do our best to ensure safety for our extended community wherever, whenever, and however necessary. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Mr. Michael Reardon