“Private schools excel at meeting the individual needs of each child and ensuring progress in both academic and social development. Private schools also provide a robust learning experience that helps parents effectively raise the whole child.”
—Chris McDuffie, M.A., R.R.W
Private School Educational Consultant
According to the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), there are over 2,000 independent schools providing high-quality and individualized education to more than 700,000 students from pre-K through high school. Why do so many parents choose a private or independent school for their child and why do so many discerning parents choose The Meadowbrook School?
1. HIGH ACADEMIC STANDARDS. Independent private schools, like The Meadowbrook School, nurture intellectual curiosity, stimulate personal growth, and encourage critical thinking. A larger percentage of students at independent private schools are enrolled in advanced courses than other schools.
2. SMALL CLASS SIZE. Independent private schools have low student-teacher ratios that encourage close connections with students. The median ratio in NAIS schools in 2011-12 was 8.8 students to 1 teacher (meaning that half have a higher ratio and half have a lower ratio).
3. EXCELLENT TEACHERS. They usually teach in their areas of expertise and are passionate about what they do. With more autonomy within the classroom, teachers are able to develop a full understanding of how each student learns and what interests and motivates each individually.
4. EDUCATION FOR THE WHOLE CHILD. Independent private schools nurture not just students’ intellectual ability and curiosity but also their personal and social growth and civic conscience. Opportunities extend well beyond the classroom to athletic competitions, artistic pursuits, and school leadership experiences.
5. INDIVIDUALIZED ATTENTION. With smaller classes and a focus on the development of the whole child, independent private schools deliver more individualized attention to each student.
6. INCLUSIVENESS. The Meadowbrook School, like many independent private schools, maintain diverse and vibrant student communities and welcome and respect each family. In 2010-2011 students of color were 25.9 percent of total independent private school enrollment.
7. A COMMUNITY OF PARENTS WHO ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN THEIR CHILDREN’S EDUCATION. Independent private schools promote regular communication among students, parents, and teachers to ensure everyone is working toward the same goals for the student.
8. THE OPPORTUNITY TO CHOOSE A SCHOOL WITH A MISSION. You can select a school whose philosophy, values, and teaching approach is right for your child.
9. GREATER LIKELIHOOD OF A STUDENT COMPLETING A BACHLOR’S DEGREE OR GRADUATE DEGREE.
10. AND MOST IMPORTANT: An education that will pay dividends for a lifetime.